Have you heard the phrase “in the blink of an eye”? I have, I’m pretty sure we all have. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how quickly our lives can change. That one moment we you meet “the one”. The moment when you lost your job. The moment when you graduated from college. The moment you got bad news about a loved one. The moment when you were hit by a car. The moment when you said the wrong thing and the wrong things were said to you and relationships ended. The moment “the one” decided you weren’t “the one” anymore. The moment when a new relationship begins. The moment when something that is your heart and soul is gone forever. Our lives are made up of little moments. Charles Bukowski once wrote “some moments are nice, some are nicer, some are even worth writing about”.
This got me to thinking about “a moment”, a single second. Then I thought, “what about sixty seconds”? So I decided to look for some things that happen every 60 seconds and here’s that list. (Well some of them. I love Google by the way, you should try it.)
Every sixty seconds:
- 250 babies are born
- 113 are born into poverty
- 15 will have a birth defect
- Oprah makes $600
- 105 people die
- 19 deaths are from starvation
- 4,500 McDonalds burgers well be eaten
- 1,800 stars will explode
- 2,040 trees will be cut down in the rainforest
- 6 million chemical reactions will take place inside every single cell of your body
- You will blink an average of 12 times
- A sloth will cover an average of 13 feet
- The sun will fling 60 million tons of matter into space
- 31,600 tons of water will flow over Niagara Falls
- 960 million tons of water will evaporate from the surface of the Earth
- A hummingbird will flap its wings 4,000 times
- The universe will expand 2766.4 miles
- NIKE will make $36,505
- The US national debt will increase by over $3million
- Bill Gates will make $15,000
- 3 violent crimes will happen in the US
- 120,673 pounds of edible food is thrown away in the US
- 950,186 pounds of trash is thrown away in the US
- There will be 5 earthquakes
- Humans kill more than 190 sharks
- Lightning will strike the earth 360 times
- 55,757 barrels of oil are used around the world
- You heart pumps 83 gallons of blood
- Americans will eat 21 slices of pizza
- There will be 1.8 million “LIKES” on Facebook
That’s a lot of “moments”. And a lot of lives changed by every single one of them, ever second.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 says “For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.” God has planned our world to work in a manner where everything that happens in 60 seconds has purpose and doesn’t catch him off guard. In 2 Peter 3:8 it says “But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day” and in Proverbs 16:9 it says “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” I am so grateful that God understands that we are concerned about moments; but that we needed to know that He knew them all before we were one of the 250 born every second.
When I think of all the “moments” in my life that are “worth writing about”; I have many. The moment I held my best friends newborn in my arms, she was 15 minutes old and I’ve loved her ever since. The moment I lost my dream job, and I sobbed for months, even years. The moment my “one” walked away into someone else’s arms. The moment one of my students accidently called me “mom”. The moment I was in a car wreck that changed my life to the point that it paid for my college education. The moment I first time stood on stage in front 3,000 people, telling my jokes and hearing them laugh. And I’ve been finding the laughter ever since.
There are so many moments, but the one I will remember the most is the day I made Jesus Lord of my life. It may sound like a “spiritual” thing to say, but I was a young teenager who realized that I was a sinner that needed a Savior, that I need to be rescued not just from my sin, but from myself. It has not been an easy choice, but it has been my best choice. It has been full of many moments. Moments when I wondered where He was. Moments when I knew He was there and moments when He surprised me and made me feel like His absolute favorite kid. And lots of funny moments!
Our lives are filled of many moments. Make each of them count.